Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who Would Have Thunk It

Well, here we are at week 16 and the baby it still growing strong. I had my 16 week check up yesterday and had some blood drawn this afternoon (how I hate to get my blood drawn). I got to listen to the baby's heart beat and feel him/her moving around in protest to the heart monitor pushing on my belly. I was very pleased to learn that I had lost 6 pounds since my appointment 6 weeks ago. I was a little worried about my weight when I first found out I was pregnant, because I had really wanted to lose some weight before I got pregnant again. So my next option was to hope that this pregnancy would be similar to my first pregnancy, where I lost 10 pounds instead of gaining weight.

I know, who would have thought that getting pregnant would be a good diet plan. Well, honestly it isn't, but it really makes me think about really taking care of my body for my baby's sake. Plus, it really doesn't help that I started my pregnancies out being overweight. With Olivia, I managed to maintain my weight for most of my pregnancy, then I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Because of that, I really had to watch what I was eating to make sure that there were no complications with the baby or myself. Mostly I was worried about the baby. Thankfully, I was able to keep my blood sugars under control and because of it I lost 10 pounds during the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy which put at a very healthy weight for my pregnancy. Once I had Olivia, I told myself that I was going to keep to the diet and that with nursing I would be back to the weight I was before I was married. Well, I got lazy and relied too much on the fact that I was nursing so I was already burning calories.

So, here we are with baby number two on the way, thankfully I'm not as overweight as I was when I started off my pregnancy with Olivia, but slightly overweight non-the-less. Even though it hasn't been confirmed yet that I have gestational diabetes, I am treating my body the same way. Even if I don't have gestational diabetes, which isn't likely to happen, I intend to keep going with this diet so I can be at a healthy weight when this baby arrives. And this time, I've got a head start.

2 comments:

Nanette said...

I'm so excited that you are having another baby. I can't wait to find out what you are having. I pray that this pregnancy will go better for you. I saw your little girl tonight. She is so adorable. I hope to see you soon. It's been way too long.
Love,
Nanette

Nanette said...

P.S. Good luck on your pregnancy diet. I hope it works out for you. :)